Ingredients for Basic Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 1/2 squares Baker's chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Cream butter and sugar together
- Add melted chocolate and eggs to the butter/ sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add a half cup of the flour into which the baking powder has been blended.
- Then add the milk and vanilla and the remaining flour, alternating them.
- The cake batter will be stiff enough to drop from a spoon (which may seem stiffer than other cake batters)
- Beat until smooth
- Bake in 2 square or round cake pans, for 20-25 minuts at 350 degrees (325 for a dark coated pan) or until the cake springs back when touched with a finger.
- When the cake is totally cool, frost the bottom layer, then add the top and frost the outside.