Strawberry shortcake is a summer classic, and it's easy to make. So when fresh strawberries are in season, make this delicious summer classic for the perfect end to a summer meal.
Shortcake is a basic baking powder biscuit dough that has been slightly sweetened. For the flakiest shortcakes, use very cold butter. Makes eight shortcake biscuits, or 4 servings.
- 4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a nonstick baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add 3/4 cup of the softened butter and the heavy cream. Mix until well combined.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a board and knead the dough for about 60 seconds. Roll it with a floured rolling pin to 1/2 inch thick.
- Using an inverted glass or biscuit cutter, cut the dough into eight rounds and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle the tops with a little extra sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Prepare the Berries
Macerate the berries in sugar for a few hours before serving to allow the juices to mix with the sugar and make juicy syrup.
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- In a bowl, mix the strawberries and the sugar until well combined.
- Cover and set aside for two hours. There's no need to refrigerate this unless there are leftovers.
Assemble the Shortcakes
For each shortcake you will need:
- 2 biscuits
- 1/2 cup of the macerated strawberries (or more to taste)
- Whipped cream, to taste
To assemble, place one biscuit per serving on a bowl or plate. Add a small spoonful of whipped cream. Spoon half the strawberries over the top. Top with a second biscuit, a dollop of whipped cream, and the remaining strawberries.
A Taste of Summer
If you've ever wondered what summertime would taste like served up in a bowl, strawberry shortcake is it. Enjoy this delicious summer recipe when berries are at their peak of ripeness in the months of June and July.