Ingredients for Aspic Jelly Recipe
- 2 tablespoons each carrot, onion, and celery, cut in cubes
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig savory
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 7/8 cup white or Madeira wine
- 1 box gelatin
- 1 quart white stock for vegetables and white meat, or 1 quart brown stock for dark meat
- Juice 1 lemon
- 3 egg whites
Aspic jelly is always made with meat stock and is principally used in elaborate entrees where fish, chicken, game, or vegetables are to be served molded in jelly. In making aspic jelly, use as much liquid as the pan that holds to molded dish will allow.
- Put vegetables, seasonings, and wine in a saucepan. Cook 8 minutes and strain, reserving liquid.
- Add gelatin to stock, then add lemon juice and strained liquid.
- Season with salt and cayenne. Add egg whites slightly beaten.
- Stir constantly until boiling-point is reached.
- Set aside and let stand 30 minutes.
- Strain through a double cheese-cloth placed over a fine wire strainer or through a jelly bag.