Ingredients for Yeast Doughnuts Recipe
- ¼ cup of lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup of melted butter
- ½ cake of compressed yeast
- 2 eggs
- A little bread flour
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of mace or nutmeg
- 1 cup of scalded-and-cooled milk
- About 4 cups of bread flour
- The night before making the doughnuts, soften the yeast in the lukewarm water and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in flour to make a dough that can be kneaded; knead until elastic and cut the ball of dough across the top in both directions.
- Put it into a bowl of tepid water deep enough so it floats on the water.
- With a skimmer, remove the dough and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the other ingredients and mix to a soft dough.
- Knead for about fifteen minutes.
- Cover and set aside until morning.
- In the morning, turn the dough upside down and roll into a sheet 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut into strips half an inch (generous) wide; twist these and bring the ends together.
- Set to rise, covered, on a floured cloth or tin.
- When light, fry in deep fat, turning frequently while cooking.
- Drain on soft paper and roll in powdered sugar.