Ingredients for White Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter on medium-high, stirring frequently, until it is bubbly.
- Whisk in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Continue to boil on medium-low, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Once it has reached your desired thickness, you can use it in your favorite dish.
How to Use
White sauce has numerous uses.
- Stir in 2 cups of warmed deli-sliced beef to make chipped beef and serve it on toast.
- Stir in 2 cups of cooked vegetables to make creamed veggies.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg and 2 cups of cooked pearl onions to make creamed onions.
- Add 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, stirring to melt it, and serve it on pasta as Alfredo sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of grated medium cheddar cheese. Stir to melt, and use as a sauce for macaroni and cheese or tuna casserole.
A Versatile Sauce
You can use white sauce in many preparations. Enjoy any of the above, or use it as part of another white sauce dish to enjoy this simple, tasty, and versatile sauce.