Ingredients for Vegetable Soup Recipe 1
- ¼ cup diced potato
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- ¼ cup diced turnips
- ¼ cup chopped cabbage
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup strained tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1½ tablespoons caramelized sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Combine all of the vegetables in a pot. Add two cups of water.
- Cook over high heating, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the strained tomato and enough water to make one quart.
- Add caramelized sugar (made by putting the sugar in a pan; stir constantly over the fire until melted to a syrup of a rich brown color).
- Gradually add enough boiling water to dissolve the caramel and add to the soup.
- Season and serve.