Ingredients for Vegetable Fritters Recipe
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetables, see preparation and suggestions below
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil or melted shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, optional
- Combine the dry ingredients and seasonings in a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat egg and milk until golden-yellow and foamy, and then stir into the dry ingredients to make a smooth, thick batter.
- If using bite size pieces of vegetables like broccoli or sliced vegetables, dip the individual pieces and lay on waxed paper until ready to fry.
- If using grated vegetables, fold the vegetables into the batter.
- Heat cooking oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or preheat griddle if pan frying the fritters.
- Using tongs, drop the bite-sized pieces into the cooking oil, or drop the batter from tablespoon onto hot griddle.
- Cook about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper toweling and serve hot.
Vegetable Preparation and Suggestions
The preparation method for the vegetables depends on the type being used. Broccoli and cauliflower should be divided into florets. Large florets should be cut into smaller, bite-size pieces. Potatoes and root vegetables such as carrots or parsnips should be grated, while tomatoes and squash work best when they are sliced and then dipped into the batter.
- Potatoes - white or sweet
- Yellow squash