Ingredients for Strawberry Sherbet Recipe
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 beaten pasteurized egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Clean and hull strawberries, and then place in a food processor or blender and purée until smooth.
- If you do not want the seeds, strain the purée through a mesh strainer.
- Pour the purée into a large glass bowl.
- Stir in the water, egg white, lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla extract. If you prefer a sweeter sherbet, add more sugar to your taste.
- Refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours or until well chilled.
- Pour the chilled mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze according to your machine's directions.
- Keep frozen until ready to serve.
- For a special touch, serve the strawberry sherbet in cantaloupe halves and garnish with fresh strawberry slices.
Note: Sherbets made with the whole egg nearly resemble ice cream in consistency than when the beaten egg white is used.