Ingredients for Stewed Onions Recipe
- 4 onions
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Peel the onions and thinly slice them using a sharp knife.
- Combine the water and 2 teaspoons salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer the sliced onions in the salted water for 5 minutes.
- Drain the onions into a colander, discarding the water. Repeat this process twice with fresh water to make the onions milder.
- Combine the milk, butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan.
- Add the partially cooked onions and bring back to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the onions are tender.
Serves 6 to 8
Variations and Tips
- You can make this recipe with about 30 whole small onions. Just peel them; don't slice them first.
- Yellow or white onions are usually used for this recipe. They are much stronger in flavor than red onions.
- If you use red onions, you can skip simmering them in water first.
- If you choose to use Bermuda, or sweet onions, you can omit the simmering step.
- Serve this dish as a side dish to a roast chicken or pot roast.