Ingredients for Stewed Dried Apricots Recipe
- 1 pound dried pitted apricots
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups water
- Combine the apricots, granulated sugar, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon stick, and water in a large heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the apricots are plump and soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and remove the cinnamon stick. Let the mixture cool at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Variations and Tips
- These apricots can be eaten as-is, or spooned over ice cream or pound cake.
- You can make an apricot sauce by blending the stewed apricots. Add some apricot nectar or orange or pineapple juice to get to a pouring consistency.
- Stewed apricots are delicious served with some softly whipped cream, sour cream, or yogurt. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Try eating stewed apricots with cooked oatmeal for a great breakfast.