Ingredients for Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium-high until it shimmers.
- Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the fat with a slotted spoon and set it aside to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the onion to the hot oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown, five to seven minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper, coriander, and cumin.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the soup until the cabbage is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Serve garnished with the reserved bacon.