Ingredients for Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 cups cooked ham
- 4 1/2 cups peeled potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Add pepper, salt and flour; stir.
- Cook mixture for about one minute (stirring constantly).
- Remove from heat and stir in the milk gradually.
- Cook mixture (continue to stir) over low heat until bubbly and thick.
- Fold in onion, ham, and optional cheese and green pepper, if desired.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and pour milk mixture over potatoes.
- Stir potato mixture with the milk and ham mix, and place in a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 60 additional minutes uncovered.
- Let stand about 10 minutes and serve.
Servings: about 8
When choosing this flavorful recipe, you have some options for variations:
- Substitute bacon bits for cooked ham but cut the amount in half.
- Use mozzarella or pepper jack cheese in place of cheddar cheese.
- Substitute red or yellow peppers in place of green peppers (or use all three in equal amounts to add color to your recipe).
- Use 1/2 cup of chopped green onion in place of a regular onion.
- Add 1/2 cup of mushrooms.
- Add 1/2 cup of cooked peas.