Ingredients for Savory Rice Recipe
- 3½ ounces of rice
- 1 pint milk
- 4 ounces onion
- ½ ounce butter
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 ounces bread crumbs
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Peel, and slice the onions, and throw them into cold water; let them boil up quickly, and then drain, and mince them.
- Put the rice into a double pan; boil the milk, and pour it over the rice, and add the minced onion.
- Let them stew until the rice has absorbed all the milk, which will take quite two hours.
- Remove the pan from the fire, and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Season the mixture to taste.
- Butter a baking dish, and put in the rice, cover with the bread crumbs, and break up the butter in small pieces, and place it over them.
- Brown as quickly as possible in a hot oven or before the fire.