Ingredients for Royal Icing Recipe
- 4 cups powdered sugar (also called confectioner's sugar)
- 3 Tablespoons meringue powder (also called egg white powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, if desired)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup warm water
- Place the confectioners' sugar and meringue powder in a large bowl.
- Use a whisk to blend them until combined.
- Add the water and then use an electric mixer to beat on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (5 to 7 minutes). Mixture should be very glossy
- Add more powdered sugar or water as needed to get proper consistency.
- The icing needs to be used immediately or placed in an airtight container for storage, with plastic wrap covering the top.
Makes about 3 cups of icing.