Ingredients for Roast Turkey and Stuffing Recipe
- 1 turkey
- 1 quart fine breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup country sausage
- A little warm water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6-7 strips salt pork
- Dusting of flour
- Melted vegetable shortening
- Mix sausage with breadcrumbs, add egg well beaten, vegetable shortening, seasonings, grated rind and strained juice of lemon.
- Moisten with a little hot water but be careful not to make stuffing too moist.
- Fill breast of bird with stuffing.
- Place salt pork in bottom of roasting pan, lay in turkey, and place several strips salt pork over breast and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Roast at 375 degrees F until the temperature in thigh reaches 180 degrees. Typically allow 15-20 minutes per pound.
- Baste occasionally with melted vegetable shortening.
- Serve hot decorated with cooked onions, celery tips, cranberries, and parsley.