Ingredients for Raised Doughnuts Recipe
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ yeast cake
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Dissolve yeast cake in lukewarm water.
- Scald milk and let cool.
- To milk, add yeast, half teaspoon of salt, and flour to make a drop batter.
- Let rise.
- In a separate bowl, cream vegetable shortening with sugar, and add well-beaten eggs, remainder of salt, and nutmeg.
- A shortening mixture to yeast with enough flour to make stiff dough; let rise again.
- When risen, make into small balls and place in a pan half-filled with vegetable shorteninged.
- Cook from four to five minutes until doughnuts are done.
- Drain on soft paper and dredge with powdered sugar.
- Sufficient for seventy doughnuts.