Ingredients for Patriotic Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon red paste or gel food coloring
- 1 teaspoon blue paste or gel food coloring
- Whip the egg white and stir the margarine and vanilla into it.
- Using a different bowl, blend together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures until blended.
- Divide the dough into three equal sizes and place in three separate bowls.
- Add the red coloring to one bowl, the blue to another, and leave the last one white. You may need to knead the dough to get the color distributed evenly.
- Roll and form into equally shaped rectangles about four by 12 inches. Then carefully stack the colors.
- Cover with wax paper and chill for an hour.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut the dough into one by 12 inch strips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the cookie dough strips into three inch bars, and bake for 10-12 minutes.