If you're looking for an easy way to prepare a one dish meal, it's hard to beat a hearty casserole that combines meat with other tasty ingredients. Casseroles taste just as great as they are easy to prepare. When you prepare either of the two casserole recipes presented here - Shepherd's Pie and Creamy Pasta and Beef Casserole - dinner is sure to be a hit with everyone in your household!
Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 16-ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 pound of potatoes, cut into large chunks
- ¾ of a cup of sour cream (do not use fat free)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste
Meat and Vegetable Filling Instructions
- Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Crumble meat as it cooks, stirring frequently until browned.
- When meat is cooked, drain excess fat away.
- Return meat to pan over low heat.
- Add ketchup.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables.
- Add ¼ cup of water.
- Stir until well combined.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
Mashed Potato Topping Instructions
- Fill a stock pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Place potatoes in boiling water.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add sour cream.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Stir and mash until mixture is well combined and fairly smooth.
Casserole Assembly and Baking Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 10 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place meat and vegetable mixture in the dish.
- Spread mashed potato mixture over the top evenly.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Creamy Pasta and Beef Casserole
- 1 16-ounce package of pasta (elbow, penne, spiral or rotini)
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 small onion (yellow or red), diced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 4-ounce can of sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 14 ½-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ½-ounce can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can of creamed corn
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (your favorite - cheddar, Swiss, parmesan, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta per instructions on package.
- Drain the pasta when it is cooked.
- Place the drained pasta in a 10 x 13 casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the beef, onion and minced garlic in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir meat to crumble.
- Cook until browned.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, soup and corn.
- Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes, just until heated through.
- Pour the meat mixture into the casserole dish.
- Stir gently to evenly distribute pasta.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Time Saving Meal Preparation
Meat casserole recipes are so popular because once you put the ingredients together, the hard part is done. Unlike some dishes where you have to hover around the stove and constantly check your ingredients looking for just the right time to serve your meal, casseroles can be prepared in stages or even ahead of time. If you're looking for more options, try making a hamburger tater tot casserole or seven layer taco casserole. There are plenty of quick and easy casseroles beyond basic ground beef recipes - try making a turkey and stuffy casserole, a creamy tuna casserole, or even a breakfast hash brown casserole that features sausage. Enjoy!