Ingredients for Mashed Turnips Recipe 1
- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and diced (about 6 cups or 10 medium turnips)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Water to cover (about 6 cups)
- Place turnips and potatoes in a pan with enough water to cover them.
- Bring water to a boil, and then add the sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover. Water should be boiling gently, not a hard, rolling boil.
- Cook 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from heat and drain in a colander.
- Return vegetables to the hot pan and add the butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Mash with a potato ricer or hand mixer until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
This makes 8 one-half cup servings. Adding the sugar to the cooking water cuts the "bite" or bitterness that some turnips may have.