Low-fat ground turkey breast and vitamin-rich broccoli make this casserole a nutrient-dense meal for adventurous eaters. Make the meatballs yourself to use in the casserole for a truly home cooked taste.
How to Make Turkey Meatball Casserole
Make the meatballs the day before to save prep time. Alternatively, substitute your favorite pre-cooked turkey meatballs from the frozen food section. The final casserole has about six servings.
- 1 batch low-fat turkey meatballs (recipe below)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 package (12 ounces) wild rice mix
- 1 can (8 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
Casserole Assembly and Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook wild rice according to package instructions.
- Combine turkey meatballs, broccoli, cream of mushroom soup, and wild rice.
- Put the casserole mix into a cast iron skillet for cooking and a unique presentation.
- Sprinkle Swiss and Parmesan cheeses over the top of casserole mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
Low-Fat Turkey Meatball Recipe
This recipe will yield approximately 30 meatballs.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Combine ground turkey breast, garlic, onion, parsley, salt, black pepper, oregano, egg, and dry breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl. Make sure all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Shape ground turkey mixture into meatballs, approximately one-inch in size.
- Grease a large cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil. Working in batches, cook the meatballs over medium-high heat for five to six minutes, or until browned all the way through.
- Incorporate meatballs into the recipe.
Compliments to the Chef!
Planning tasty, nutritious dinners can sometimes be a challenge. This turkey meatball casserole is not only delicious, but is unique and visually appealing -- making it a great choice for casual weeknights or classy dinner parties!