Main Dish Recipes
Main dish recipes are the foundation of any meal and can be anything from vegetarian fare to gourmet holiday dishes. When making a main dish, consider what ingredients you have on hand and how much time you want to spend cooking.
What to Have for Dinner
The main dish is often the biggest problem when it comes to figuring out what to have for dinner. If you think you don't have the time or energy to create tasty and satisfying main dishes for your family, think again. There are many dishes that don't take a lot of time.
Crock Pot Dinners
Make dinner the night before in the crock pot. Place all your ingredients in the slow cooker and place it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, just pop the crock in the cooker, turn it on, and find dinner waiting when you come home. Crock pot meals often center around a main meat, such as beef or pork, with carrots, celery and potatoes included in the mix.
Make a main dish casserole. Casseroles with multiple ingredients are really meals in themselves. Casseroles take a lot of the work out of cooking because they save time. Make a double batch the next time you create a casserole and freeze one for those busy nights when you need a quick main dish. Typical casseroles include a meat or protein source like tofu, cheese and vegetables. Noodles and rice are also in many casserole dinners.
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner?
Of course, one of the most popular thing to have for the main meal of the day is chicken. For new ideas of ways to cook this staple, or recipes for tried and true classics, browse the chicken recipes for dishes sure to please the whole family.
Other Ways to Create a Main Dish
Main dishes don't have to be a one-pot meal; they can be made up of various food items created to complement one another on the same plate. This can include:
- A meal that is centered around a meat or protein
- A meal that is centered around a heavy pasta
- A hearty dish that is filling and substantial, such as stew
- A meat and vegetable combination, such as kebabs
- A salad that is heaped with protein and substantial ingredients like beans, meat, eggs or fish
Handy Tips for Main Dish Recipes
- Cook your main dish and vegetables in a foil packet together in the oven. The foil keeps the food moist and clean-up couldn't be easier.
- Make a salad as a main dish. Add cubed, cooked chicken to salad fixings and top with dressing and cheese. You have a salad that was simple to make and satisfying to eat.
- Toss cooked pasta with warm store-bought sauce for a quick main dish.
- When preparing a special gourmet main dish recipe, spend a little more to get high-quality ingredients.
Mouth Watering Main Dishes
A delicious main dish doesn't need to be fancy or time consuming unless that's what you want. Put together a list of great recipes and use them whenever you're stuck figuring out what to make for dinner.