Ingredients for Macaroni Pudding Recipe
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 4 large eggs or 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the macaroni and keep cooking at a simmer, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, until the macaroni is very tender (about 20 - 25 minutes). Remove from the heat and stir the raisins into the mix. Do not drain.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs or egg substitute, sugar, vanilla, orange juice and teaspoon of nutmeg until completely combined.
- Slowly stir the egg mixture into the milk mixture until it's completely blended together.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and use a spoon to make sure the macaroni is distributed evenly in the liquid. Sprinkle more nutmeg lightly over the top.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the pudding sets and the edges have turned lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow the dish to cool for about 15 minutes before serving warm. If you prefer to serve it cold, let the dish cool for 40 minutes, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
This recipe serves 6 to 8 people, depending on serving size.