Ingredients for Lemon Custard Pie Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 lb. + 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Pastry pie crust - paste based
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 lb. of powdered sugar to a cream.
- Add the unbeaten whites of two eggs and whip all together until very light.
- Add the lemon rind and juice, and mix; add butter and mix.
- Cook in a double boiler until the mixture thickens, then set aside until cool.
- Line a pie plate (a deep one) with good paste, prick it well, and bake in a quick oven (425-475 degrees) until golden.
- When done, fill with the lemon custard.
- Beat the remaining egg white with two tablespoons of powdered sugar, spread it over the top of the pie, and brown very delicately in a slow oven (150-200 degree).