Ingredients for Italian Beets Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ dozen medium sized beets
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup flour
- Wash the beets, and put into boiling water.
- Cook from one to four hours, or until the skins will loosen from the beet.
- Put into cold water, and remove the skin.
- Cut the beets lengthwise through the center in about eight pieces.
- Make a sauce of the remainder of the ingredients given above.
- Mix the flour and three-quarters of the butter; add the hot water slowly, stirring constantly.
- Cook five minutes, and then add salt, remaining butter, and the lemon juice.
- Turn the beets into this sauce, and when thoroughly reheated, serve.