Ingredients for Thanksgiving Cookie Recipe
Yield: Approximately 36 cookies
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 sticks butter (slightly softened)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin purée
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling on cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In another large bowl, cream the sugars, butter, pumpkin purée, and vanilla (by hand or using an electric mixer); stir in egg.
- Using an electric mixer, gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed ingredients. Be sure each addition is well-incorporated before adding more.
- Turn about 1/3 of the dough onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/4" thickness.
- Cut out turkey shapes using a floured cookie cutter; place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle each cookie shape with coarse sugar.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
The turkey shape makes this cookie fun for kids to eat yet the sprinkling of coarse sugar makes it elegant enough to serve to adults. To make the cookies more kid-friendly, use fall-colored sugars such as orange, yellow, and red. If you have other Thanksgiving and harvest-themed cookie cutters such as pilgrim hats, pumpkins, or leaves, use them too.