Ingredients for Gruyere Cheese Croquettes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- Yolks 2 eggs
- 1 cup mild cheese, cut in very small cubes
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Few grains cayenne
- Make a thick white sauce, using butter, flour, and milk, add yolks of eggs without first beating, and stir until well mixed; then add grated cheese.
- As soon as cheese melts, remove from fire, fold in cheese cubes, and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Spread in a shallow pan, and cool.
- Turn on a board, cut in small squares or strips, dip in crumbs, egg, and crumbs again, fry in deep fat, and drain on brown paper.
- Serve for a cheese course.