Shortbread is always a treat, but when it's made with fresh ginger, it becomes something special. Once you try this recipe, you'll surely agree.
Ginger-Flavored Shortbread Recipe
- 1 ¼ sticks of butter
- ½ cup of confectioner's sugar
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons fresh ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8-inch pan with foil. You can use a 9x9-inch pan if you want, just check on the shortbread after baking 40 minutes.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat together the butter and confectioners sugar.
- Once the butter and sugar are well blended, add the flour, ginger, vanilla, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- Beat until well-blended and the dough forms clumps.
- Gather the dough together into a ball.
- Place the dough in the foil-lined baking dish.
- Using a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper, press the dough firmly into the dish until it is even and smooth.
- Place the dish in the freezer for 15 minutes to help the dough become firm.
- Once the dough is chilled, use a ruler as a straight edge and cut the dough into six strips. #Leave the dough in the dish and be sure to not cut all the way to the dish. About 3/4 of the depth of the dough will work well.
- Turn the baking dish so that one corner is facing you. Cut 6 more strips so the shortbread has a diamond pattern.
- Bake the ginger shortbread for 50 minutes or until the shortbread is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Once you remove the shortbread form the oven, but before it cools completely, cut the bread again along the lines that you made before baking.
A Cookie Classic
Crumbly and full of flavor, this shortbread is worthy of your very best guests. Make your favorite tea, arrange the cookies on a pretty plate, and indulge!