Ingredients for German Almond Cake Recipe
- ½ pound of almonds
- ½ pound sugar
- Whites of 10 eggs
- 1 teacup of milk
- 2 ounces butter
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 ounces of flour
- Blanch the almonds, and put them through the nut mill; then pound them well in a mortar, a little at a time, adding a drop of water occasionally to prevent oiling.
- Make the milk hot enough to melt the butter.
- Mix the sugar, flour and lemon rind very carefully, and then add the milk, a little at a time, and mix until perfectly smooth.
- Now add the almond paste to the flour, etc., and mix all well together.
- Then beat the whites of eggs to a stiff froth, and mix them in also.
- When all ingredients have been carefully mixed, spread the mixture about an inch thick on a well buttered and floured baking tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven from twenty minutes to half an hour.