Ingredients for French Sardine Croquettes Recipe
- 1 lb. sardines (deboned, optionally skinned, tails removed)
- 1/3 cup grated cheese (or any hard cheese)
- 1 medium clove garlic
- Juice of one lemon (scant 1/4 cup)
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole egg
- beaten 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of unseasoned dried, fine bread crumbs
- 1 cup of oil
- Combine the sardines, garlic, grated cheese, egg yolk, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste (taste before you add the raw egg yolk). Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Run your hands under cold water, shake off excess water, but don't dry them. Use your damp hands to create 1-1/2" round 'meatballs' from the sardine mixture. You should get about 12 out of the mix.
- Dredge each one in the flour, then in the beaten egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs. Roll and dip them all before frying.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees in an 8-9 inch frying pan. Fry no more than 4 at a time in the hot oil, for approximately 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to drain on absorbent paper, salting lightly.