When the weather warms up, everyone is on the lookout for fast and easy summer recipes. You want your summer meals to be quick to make and equally easy to digest, so your best bet is to think about the lighter side of what your family likes to eat.
Cooking in the Summertime
When it's warm out, no one wants to spend hours slaving away in a hot kitchen. You also might not want to fill yourself with overly hearty meals since it can be uncomfortable to overeat, especially in hot weather. If you're cooking for a family, though, it can be tough to plan a summer menu that doesn't involve hours spent over a hot stove, so here are a few recipes that will fill your dinner table without eating up all of your energy in preparation time.
Summer Fruit Plate
People often think of fruit for breakfast, but it makes a great dinner side as well. Fresh fruits are a healthy way to get your vitamins and they add a colorful flair to your meal.
- 1 sliced banana
- 1 sliced peach
- 1/2 pound of strawberries, cored and cut in half
- 1/2 of grapes
- 1 can of pineapple chunks
- On a large platter, arrange sliced fruits in a pretty pattern.
- Top with strawberries and grapes.
- Scatter pineapple chunks around the edges to create a summery yellow border to the platter.
- Serve with toothpicks!
Turkey BLT Sandwich
Sandwiches are easy to make, but you might be tired of the same old turkey and cheese on white bread. Why not try something a little different, but equally quick and easy? How about a TBLT - turkey bacon, lettuce, and tomato?
- 4 slices of turkey bacon, uncooked
- 2 slices whole wheat or other bread of your preference
- 2 large slices of tomato
- 2 large lettuce leaves
- 1/2 sliced avocado (optional)
- In a nonstick pan, fry turkey bacon until it's cooked through and crispy. Be careful not to burn it!
- Toast two slices of bread until they're the darkness you like.
- Spread both slices of bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise, making sure to spread all the way to the edges.
- On the spread side of one slice of bread, place the tomato slices, lettuce leaves, and optional avocado.
- Top with the other slice of bread, spread side down.
- Enjoy with whatever summer foods you like on the side: pickle wedges, potato salad, or a green salad.
More Fast and Easy Summer Recipes
If you're looking for more fast and easy summer recipes to cook during warm weather, here are a few more that will tempt your taste buds and have your whole family asking for seconds.
- This late summer breakfast dish with eggs, bacon, and tomatoes, is a great start to a summer day. It'll keep you going until lunch time and beyond!
- Pasta salad is a super easy dish to make and makes both a great lunch entrée or dinner side. It's perfect for packing on a picnic, too.
- What's summer without crisp salads? This fabulous salad packs a healthy punch and takes advantage of the season's bounty of fresh vegetables.
- With a little feta cheese for flavor, this summer salad is a hearty dish for any meal.
- Curious about cooking summer squash? Check out these recipes to put those zucchini and crooked necks to good use.
- 'Tis the season of cold, refreshing drinks. These frozen drink recipes are perfect for a day at the pool, or even just reading on the grass.