Ingredients for Eel Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds of eels
- Sliced onion
- 3 pints water
- Pinch of mace
- Large pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Roux made with 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon flour
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Clean and cut eels into inch-lengths.
- Put some dripping in a saucepan and, when hissing hot, fry a sliced onion in it.
- After rubbing the pieces of eels dry, place in the saucepan and fry on both sides to a light brown.
- Turn all in a covered saucepan, pour in 3 pints of water, and cook slowly for an hour.
- Season with mace, cayenne, and minced parsley.
- Salt to taste.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of butter cooked to a roux with 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Simmer three minutes, add the juice of a lemon, and serve.