Ingredients for Basic Dumpling Recipe
- 1-¾ cups flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk or water
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Stir in the oil and milk until a soft dough forms. You may need to add more flour or milk to reach the desired consistency.
- Drop the batter by tablespoons onto simmering soup or stew.
- Cover the pot and simmer the dumplings for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are cooked through. Remove one dumpling and break it open to make sure it is cooked on the inside.
Serves 4 to 6
Variations and Tips
- You can make the dumpling dough or batter thinner or thicker by adding more liquid or more flour. Less flour will make lighter dumplings.
- Don't beat the dough or overwork it because that will make the dumplings tough. Stir just until the flour disappears and the ingredients combine.
- The dough should always be added to simmering liquid so it starts cooking immediately and cooks through. Never serve any food with uncooked flour for food safety reasons.
- You can flavor dumplings with different herbs. Try adding 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or marjoram.
- Grated cheese is a good addition to dumplings. Add 1/3 cup grated Cheddar or Swiss cheese to the dry ingredients before you stir in the oil and milk or water.