Ingredients for Doughnuts Recipe 6
- 4 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1¾ teaspoons soda
- 1¾ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 egg
- Put flour in shallow pan; add salt, soda, cream of tartar, and spices.
- Work in butter with tips of fingers; add sugar, egg well beaten, and sour milk.
- Stir thoroughly and toss on board thickly dredged with flour; knead slightly, using more flour if necessary.
- Pat and roll out to one-fourth inch thickness; shape, fry, and drain.
- Sour-milk doughnuts may be turned as soon as they come to top of fat, and frequently afterwards.