Ingredients for Egg Pie Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 frozen unbaked pie crust
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prick bottom and sides of crust 10 times with a fork to keep crust from cracking while baking.
- Place crust on a baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, whisk together remaining filling ingredients, except for the nutmeg, in a medium bowl until completely combined.
- Once the empty crust is removed from the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the filling through a fine mesh strainer directly into the crust. The strainer may catch some egg white strands that didn't get mixed into the filling; if so, discard these into the trash.
- Return the filled piecrust to the baking sheet and put in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pie and baking sheet, placing the sheet on a flat heat-proof surface (such as the stovetop).
- Sprinkle the ground nutmeg evenly over the pie.
- Cover the crust edges with foil strips to prevent burning as it continues to bake.
- Return the pie to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes longer, until the center is set.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Cover and chill completely prior to slicing.