Ingredients for Banana Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut in small chunks
- 2 large, ripe bananas, cut in small pieces
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a heavy, medium-sized saucepan, whisk the sugar, cornstarch, and salt together.
- Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Whisk in the egg yolks until they are thoroughly incorporated.
- Over medium heat, stir constantly and bring the mixture to a very light simmer.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the liqueur and vanilla.
- Stir in the butter until it's completely melted.
- Stir in the banana pieces.
- Pour the hot filling into the baked crust.
- Adjust rack to center of oven
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a grease-free metal mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until they're foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar, and continue beating on medium until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar as you continue beating the mixture.
- When all the sugar has been incorporated, beat on high until you can form stiff peaks and meringue looks glossy.
- Add vanilla, and beat for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Spread the meringue over the hot banana filling, taking care to anchor it to the crust to help prevent shrinkage while the pie bakes.
- Bake just until the meringue is set and the peaks are lightly browned. Overbaking will ruin it.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and allow it to cool completely before serving.