Ingredients for Deep Fried Donut Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups white flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4-5 cups fat or shortening for deep frying
- Mix together the butter and sugar until creamed.
- Beat in one egg at a time.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon and mix gently.
- Knead dough until smooth and make into one-inch balls.
- In a large pot, such as a cast iron Dutch oven or a soup pot, heat the fat to 375 degrees and carefully drop in dough balls one at a time.
- Let cook until golden brown.
- Let dry on brown paper.
This recipe as written doesn't make traditional donuts with holes in them, but you can certainly create them using the dough here. To do so, follow these steps.
- Flour a surface and roll the dough out into about 3/4 inch thickness.
- Use a donut cutter (a round cutter with a hole in the center) to cut the donuts, or use the tip of a sharp knife to freeform cut donuts with holes.
- Fry until the donuts turn golden brown and float, two to three minutes.
You may need to cook them in batches so you don't overcrowd the pan, and allow the oil to come up to temperature between batches.
Whether you enjoy your donuts plain or like them sprinkled with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or glaze, homemade donuts are a wonderful treat for your whole family. They are as fun to eat as they are to make.