Ingredients for Custard For Pies Recipe
- 3 egg yolks
- 2-3 cup sugar
- 1 full tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat milk, beat yolks very light, add sugar and cornstarch.
- Beat again, mix with a little hot milk and add to rest of milk.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Line pan with pastry and bake crust until set.
- Pour in custard and bake until lightly browned.
- For cocoanut, add one cup grated coconut to custard mixture; top with toasted coconut if desired.
- Sliced bananas may be used in this custard, making delicious banana pie.
- Chocolate custard made also by adding one-fourth pound Baker's chocolate and two tablespoons butter.