Ingredients for Crystallized Fruit Or Fruit Peel Recipe
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 pound material to be crystallized
- Cook water and sugar to 223 degrees F.
- Remove from fire and let cool off until entirely cold.
- Place the material to be crystallized in rows in a flat tin pan in such a way that the particles of material do not touch each other.
- Pour over them the cold syrup carefully and gradually, with as little disturbance of the material as possible.
- When the material is all covered with the syrup, place over the top of the syrup a dampened cheesecloth.
- Allow this to stand undisturbed for about 9 hours.
- Remove cheesecloth.
- Pour syrup and material over a wire sieve.
- Let the syrup drain off entirely.
- This requires about 5 to 6 hours.
- The pieces of material are then dry and are covered with a fine white crystal.
- Best results are obtained in crystallization by having the fruits sliced and by leaving on the skin or peel. This also improves the flavor.