Ingredients for Crockpot Stuffing Recipe
- 1 cup spread, like butter or margarine
- 2 cups onion
- 2 cups celery
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 12 ounces mushrooms
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth, or as needed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Put bread cubes in a large bowl and set aside.
- Chop the onions, celery, and parsley and slice the mushrooms.
- Melt butter or margarine in a large pan. Add onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley, stirring frequently until cooked.
- Pour vegetables over bread cubes. Sprinkle on seasonings to taste.
- Pour in chicken broth and add in eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture in slow cooker and cover.
- Cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Reduce to low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
- Scoop stuffing into dish for serving.
Too Wet or Too Dry?
Check your stuffing a few hours before serving to see if it is too wet or too dry. If it's too wet, you can cook with the lid off for the remaining two hours. If it is too dry, add 1/4 cup broth and a tablespoon of butter and test it again. If it remains dry, continue adding broth and butter in quarter cup/1 tablespoon increments until it reaches the desired moisture.
Tips for Flavor
Want to change it up? Try the following.
- Cook 2 ounces of chopped pancetta you've browned in 2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil for a richer flavor and add to mixture.
- Add two chopped carrots to add color.
- Add a cup of dried cranberries or dried apples for a hint of sweetness.
- Add a cup of chopped pecans for crunch.
- For a softer dressing, replace the dried bread cubes with fresh.
- Replace the dried marjoram with 2 tablespoons of chopped, fresh rosemary, which will give it a deeper flavor.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley just before serving to add a fresh flavor.
- Add 6 ounces of cooked sausage to make a sausage stuffing.
- Replace bread cubes with cornbread for a more rustic texture.
People with celiac disease need not forego stuffing. Make it gluten-free by drying gluten-free bread on the counter for one or two days and then chopping it into cubes to add in place of the regular bread.