Ingredients for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Season the pork with sea salt and then rub it with the Chinese five spice powder. Put it in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, ginger, garlic, and sriracha. Add it to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the pork is fork tender, eight to ten hours.
- Remove the pork to a platter, tented with foil to keep warm. Pour the sauce that remains into a large saucepan.
- Bring the saucepan to a simmer over medium-high heat, skimming fat from the top with a spoon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Add it to the simmering sauce. Continue simmering the sauce, stirring occasionally, until it thickens, about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, use two forks to shred the pork. Put the shredded pork back in the slow cooker set on "keep warm." Stir in the thickened sauce.
You can keep this warm for a few hours or serve it immediately. Serve with a side of coleslaw. This recipe serves approximately 10 people. When you don't have all the ingredients for this recipe on hand, consider serving barbecue pulled pork instead.