Ingredients for Cream Of Turnip Soup Recipe
- 1/2 dozen turnips
- 4 ounces of fresh butter
- 3 ounces of lean ham cut into dice
- 2 or 3 onions
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1/2 pint of rich cream
- 2 pint of white stock
- Wash and pare turnips and let lie in cold water for a quarter of an hour.
- Drain and cut into small pieces.
- Put into a stewpan with 4 ounces of fresh butter and 3 ounces of lean ham cut into dice, and stir about over a gentle fire for a few minutes.
- Then add 2 or 3 onions, 2 sticks of celery; cut up and cover all with a pint of white stock.
- Let simmer gently until they are quite soft.
- Dredge two handfuls of flour over them, beating briskly meanwhile to avoid lumping and until smooth.
- Then gradually add white stock and stir over heat until it boils.
- Rub through a fine sieve and boil up again; add salt, pepper, and powdered mace, and when boiling beat in 1/2 pint of rich cream.
- Then serve with croutons on the side.
- A bay leaf and two or three cloves may be added to the other ingredients.
- Sufficient for eight persons.