Ingredients for Cream Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, stir in the flour with a wire whisk.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly with the whisk, until the mixture bubbles. Do not let the mixture brown.
- Add the milk and salt and stir briskly with the whisk over medium heat.
- Continue cooking until the sauce thickens and is smooth. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
Yields 1-1/4 cups cream sauce
Variations and Tips
- You can transform this sauce by adding different herbs. Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, basil, or marjoram. If you want to use oregano or rosemary, use smaller amounts. About 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano are the correct amounts.
- It's important to use a wire whisk when making this sauce so it is smooth and free of lumps.
- This sauce can become a cheese sauce by adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded Colby, Swiss, Cheddar, or Monterey Jack cheese. Add the cheese when the sauce is smooth and thickened and stir over low heat until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth again.