Ingredients for Low Fat Ground Beef Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cooked wild or brown rice
- 1/4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and sliced mushrooms; cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the bread crumbs and eggs in a medium bowl. Add the extra lean ground beef, salt, marjoram, and pepper and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Form the beef mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- When the cabbage mixture is done, remove from the skillet and place in a 13" x 9" glass baking dish.
- Top with the cooked rice.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, honey, mustard, lemon juice, and dried cranberries to the skillet. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Drop the meatballs into the tomato mixture. Do not stir. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the tomato and meatball mixture over the rice in the baking dish.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the casserole is bubbling.
- Top each serving with some sour cream and the chives.
Nutrition Per Serving
Nutrition calculated at My Fitness Pal. Per each of the 8 servings, this recipe has:
- 388 calories
- 41 grams carbohydrates
- 11 grams fat (25.5% calories from fat)
- 21 grams protein
It also has 670 mg sodium, 21 grams sugar, 62% DV (daily value of) Vitamin C, 19% DV Vitamin A, and 24% DV Iron.
Variations and Tips
- To cook the wild rice, combine 3/4 cup rinsed wild rice in a saucepan with 3 cups water or chicken stock. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 45 to 55 minutes or until the rice is tender but still chewy.
- To cook the brown rice, combine 3/4 cup brown rice with 2-1/2 cups water or chicken stock. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes until tender.
- The meatballs are not browned before they are added to the sauce. Because extra lean ground beef is used, not much fat is added to the recipe.
- To save time, you could use frozen precooked meatballs in place of the homemade ones. Look for low fat meatballs in the freezer section of your supermarket.
- You could add more vegetables to this casserole. Chopped red bell peppers or zucchini would be a good addition to the cabbage mixture.