Ingredients for Codfish In Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound salted codfish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Fresh herbs, like parsley, optional
- Soak the cod overnight in cold water.
- In the morning, bring a large skillet of water to a boil over high heat.
- Drain the fish and pat dry. Then slice the fish crosswise into 1/2" slices and add it to the water.
- Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat and simmer the fish for 10 minutes.
- Drain the fish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter and flour. Whisk over medium heat until the butter melts and the mixture starts to bubble.
- Add the milk to the flour mixture and whisk well. Bring to a simmer.
- Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and beat with a fork until combined.
- Add 1/3 cup of the simmering milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk well.
- Add the yolk mixture to the rest of the sauce in the saucepan and whisk.
- Simmer for 5 minutes to ensure the mixture is cooked.
- Add the cod, salt, and pepper to the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes longer.
- Serve over hot buttered toast, hot cooked rice, or mashed potatoes. Or serve with peeled, boiled small potatoes. Garnish with fresh herbs as desired.