Ingredients for Classic Bananas Foster
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup banana liqueur (such as Bols or DeKuyper banana liqueur)
- 4 bananas, halved, then sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 3 scoops good quality vanilla ice cream
- Combine the butter, sugar and cinnamon in a heavy skillet.
- Over low heat, cook until the butter is melted and the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add the banana liqueur and blend in.
- Place the lengths of banana in the pan and allow them to cook until they soften and begin to lightly brown.
- Add the rum, and allow it to cook until it is just warmed.
- Tilt the pan slightly and use a lighter to ignite the alcohol.
- Once the flames die out, carefully place several banana segments on dishes of ice cream and spoon the warm sauce over the top.
- Serve immediately.
Tip: Remove pan from burner or turn off flame before adding banana liqueur and rum to prevent burning.