Ingredients for Classic Baked Beans
- 1 pint California pea beans
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Wash the beans and soak them overnight.
- In the morning drain off the water and put them into a bean pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and sufficient boiling water to cover them.
- Cover the pot, and bake them in a moderate oven for twelve hours or longer, adding boiling water when necessary.
- Parboiling is unnecessary, but is generally done.
- The beans will be better if they are baked twelve or even twenty-four hours, but the heat of the oven must be moderate.
- Other pea beans than the California may be used.
- Sugar may be substituted for the molasses, but the molasses is necessary to give the real Boston baked-bean flavor.
- One pint or less of strained tomatoes may be used in place of part of the water with which the beans are covered when put to bake.