Ingredients for Lemon Pepper Chicken Recipe
This recipe serves four.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 chicken thighs (skin on, bone in)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 6 shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, heat the butter on medium-high until it bubbles.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Add the chicken, skin-side down and cook until it is well-browned, about 7 minutes. Flip and brown on the other side, about seven minutes more.
- Remove the chicken from the fat in the pan and set it aside on a platter, tented with foil to keep warm.
- Add the shallots to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are browned, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest, using a spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the chicken stock. Return the chicken to the pan, skin-side up and stir to coat the chicken with the juices. Spread the lemon slices in an even layer across the top and add the thyme sprigs to the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken cooks through and the juices run clear, about 50 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and bring it to a simmer on the stovetop. Reduce the sauce by half, about five minutes.
- Remove the thyme sprig before serving. Serve the chicken with the sauce spooned over the top.
Variations and Serving Suggestions
Serve with a side of rice with the sauce spooned over the rice. You can also add other foods to the pan when you cook the shallots to change the flavor such as:
- 2 cups of asparagus spears
- 1 cup of green olives, halved
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- Replace the thyme with a sprig of rosemary