Ingredients for Cheese Fritters
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat or oat flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon baking power
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep frying
- Put all ingredients except the cheese in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Batter should be thick but not stiff or hard to stir. Fold in the cheese.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or pan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drop the fritter batter from a spoon into the hot oil, using about 1 rounded tablespoonful per fritter.
- Fry about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the fritters are golden brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Serve hot with mustard dip on the side.
Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop batter into the hot oil, and use the back of the spoon to flatten slightly. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown, and then flip the fritter over and brown the other side.
For an additional taste treat, substitute 1 cup of prepared pimento cheese for the grated Cheddar cheese and prepare as directed above.