Ingredients for Celery Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ tablespoons butter, softened
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- Combine the celery and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer the celery for 7 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- Place the celery mixture into a blender or food processor. Let stand 15 minutes to cool so the liquid doesn't expand too much during processing.
- Blend or process the mixture until smooth. Then pour the mixture through a strainer back into the saucepan.
- Add the salt and milk to the celery mixture and stir.
- In a small bowl, cream the butter and flour together until smooth.
- Add a spoonful of the strained celery sauce and whisk until combined.
- Add the flour and butter mixture to the sauce in the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently with a wire whisk, for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- The sauce should be of the consistency of rich cream. Serve over chicken, salmon, or pork. It's also delicious served over rice.
Yields approximately 2 cups, depending on thickness level