Ingredients for Celery Croquettes Recipe
- 2 or 3 heads of celery, according to size
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pint of milk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Pepper, powdered mace and salt
- Trim and wash the celery, and cut it into short lengths.
- Then pour some boiling water on, and let it stand for ten minutes.
- Put the milk into a saucepan with the bay leaves, mace and pepper, and then add the celery to this, letting it cook until tender.
- When tender drain, and cut it into small pieces.
- Melt a teaspoon of butter in a saucepan, and stir in an ounce of flour; when well mixed, add a gill of milk.
- Stir till it boils, and put in the chopped celery.
- Cook for about fifteen minutes, adding a little pepper and a little cream.
- Spread the mixture on a dish, and let it get cold.
- Make up into croquettes, roll them in rusk crumbs, and fry in boiling oil to a golden color.
- Drain well on a cloth or paper, and serve hot.